Businessman, 43, dies after undergoing hair transplant in India and ‘suffering allergic reaction’
- Shrawan Kumar Choudhary underwent the procedure at a clinic in Mumbai
- The 43-year-old, who ran a logistics firm, died the day after the procedure
- Mr Choudhary paid 500,000 rupees (£5,400) for the 12-hour hair transplant
An Indian man has died after reportedly suffering an allergic reaction during a hair transplant.
Shrawan Kumar Choudhary underwent the procedure at a private clinic in Mumbai, according to local reports.
The 43-year-old, who ran a logistics firm, died the day after the 12-hour procedure, The Times of India reports.
Shrawan Kumar Choudhary underwent the procedure at a private clinic in Mumbai, according to local reports (file photo)
Mr Choudhary, who allegedly had not told his family about the procedure, paid 500,000 rupees (£5,400) for the hair transplant.
The doctor who treated him told police he asked for 9,000 grafts in one sitting – three times more than recommended.
It is currently unclear whether Dr Vikas Halwai, the dermatologist who treated Mr Choudhary, agreed to the request.
However, Dr Halwai did admit to police that Mr Choudhary began to develop his complications after 3,700 grafts.
The hair transplant began last Thursday evening, after Mr Choudhary underwent checks. It is thought these were standard safety tests.
By 2.30am on the Friday, he started to suffer from neck pain. Dr Halwai claimed he dished out painkillers and antibiotics.
Mr Choudhary was then whisked away to Global Hospital, Parel, when he began having breathing difficulties.
He died on Saturday at Hiranandani Hospital, after his friend took him there on Friday.